Sunday, May 07, 2006

Finding a Routine, In Week Nineteen

Last weekend, the weather was nothing but rain. Rain, rain, rain. From Thursday evening to Monday evening. That meant that I was back on the trainer for another long Sunday afternoon bike ride. Thankfully, I had some movies sitting around that I hadn't watched yet, and one of them happened to be exactly the length of the ride I needed. So, for 2 hours 30 minutes I rode the bike and watched the Pianist. Good movie and good (as good as can be expected on the trainer) ride.

My hamstring issues are back. And back with a vengence. I just can't seem to get this thing to behave. But, it's pretty much just part of who I am now, so I'm dealing with it the best I can. I always feel like a one-legged runner when I first start off running because I can't really use the leg much for the first 1/4 mile or so. So, it ends up looking like I'm just dragging a dead limb behind me til it warms up. Despite the hammy problem, I still managed to get some quality runs in this week. Monday, I did my favorite 5 mile loop in record time and in a good heart rate range. Tuesday, I made the running group do a little bit of speedwork (they hate me now...) for 3 miles. Thursday, Sunshine and I did 6 miles at the most steady pace I've done in months. And Saturday, Sunshine and I (and the rest of the group) did 9 miles at a very decent (for me) pace. Not too bad for a gimp!

With all the running, the biking took a bit of backseat. It was unintentional, but after the long ride on Sunday, I only got back on the bike for one more quick 50 minute ride.

I think swimming may be becoming my strong suit. I am starting to feel very at home in the pool. My stroke is great and my confidence is building. Now that school is out, the pool should be a bit less crowded. Already this week, I started noticing more of my triathlete friends in the pool. It's great when we all get to swim together. And, I even swam in the "FAST" lane this week! It sounds more impressive than it is, though. I got to the pool late enough that there were only about 15 of us swimming. The "SLOW" lanes were busy, but not so in the other lanes. It may be the only time I get to use that lane, so I took advantage. I felt faster just being there!!

It's only 4 weeks til Dam to Dam and I am ready to get to racing. I can't wait to start putting some of these training weeks to use!

I'm heading to Chicago for Mother's Day. Roehr and I are already figuring out our workouts for that weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, but I'm also pretty psyched to hang out with Roehr and have her show me how it's done on the bike. I'm itching for a good quality long bike ride.

The twins will be in Chicago and I can't wait to see them again. There will be lots of competition on who gets to spend time with the girls. Between Lauren and Sophie meeting their great-grandmothers (and namesakes), one aunt, their uncle, and their cousin (all for the first time), their other aunt (me) and the grandmothers won't have a chance!

But, twins are in the air this year. On May 1st, my friends Betsy and Bryan became proud aunt and uncle to twin girls. On the SAME DAY, my friends Ricky and Tawna had their twin boys. There is another friend/acquaintance who was showing me pictures of his (roughly) 3 week old twin girls just on Friday. Good golly! I almost know more people with twins than single babies! The more the merrier!

Weekly Round-Up (Sunday thru Saturday):
Swim: 5800 yards
Bike: 3 hours, 20 minutes
Run: 24.5 miles
Cross-Training: about 30 minutes of core work.

2 comments:

Jeff Klein said...

I hope you can find six more words that rhymne with "-teen".

roehr said...

"show you how it's done on the bike"?? i think not, my friend...something tells me we'll be well-matched...of course, it's a route i've done before, so maybe i'll just not share where the hills are....i have to maintain some sort of competitive advantage, after all!!

can't wait to hit the road with you and have tack meet the iron maiden...should be fun!!