Monday, June 05, 2006

Like a Machine, In Week Fifteen

After the big training weekend, I started to focus on the race this weekend. Really, I planned to just use the race (a 20K) as a well-catered training run. But I also kind of wanted to test things out a bit to see how far I'd come. I trained pretty well throughout the week, but used Friday as a rest day just to make sure I felt decent on Saturday. I tried not to do much with my clients or in the fitness classes, but, of course, work was swamped on Friday and I ended up doing more physical labor on Friday than I had the whole week before!

Sparkle and I decided to run the beginning of the race together and then we ended up doing the whole thing side by side. I didn't set any PR's, but I did come away from this race with WAY more confidence than any other race before! Ususally at about mile 8 or 9, I start to wish for a city bus to come by, run me over, and put me out of my misery. But this year, I felt strong through the whole race and even felt like I could have continued running for another 3+ miles after the end. I didn't of course, but instead I found the osteopathic manipulation tables and the beer garden...

I also made another big discovery this week! The city outdoor pool (with a rather funny name: Carr Pool, get it??) opened. And wiith the warm temps we've been having, it is very comfortable to swim in! So, now, over my lunch hour, I get to go swim at the pool and get a tan and a little mini-vacation during the work day. I now LOVE to go swimming during my lunch hour. Acutally, I may even start to teach water aerobics, too!

Really, the biggest change I've noticed in myself recently is that I am really enjoying my training. Not just the swimming, but all of the workouts. And, I know exactly what to blame it on. The weather around here has been amazing - sunny, hot, humid. I LOVE it!! For some reason, I just don't mind going out to train if it's good summer weather. That rocks since the rest of my training will be in weather just like this!

The next few weekends are full of training and racing. I'm heading to Madison next weekend, then there's the Quad Cities Triathlon, then the Pella Dutchman Triathlon. I am just really looking forward to doing some racing and testing some of this training!

Weekly Round-Up (Sunday thru Saturday):
Swim: 6400 yards (about 1800 of that in open water)
Bike: 5 hours, 55 minutes (about half of that on the trainer...)
Run: 21.9 miles

No comments: