Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tapering Is What I Do, In Week Two

God Bless the Taper! Just when I thought I couldn't get much more cranky about training, I finally hit my big taper week. I know that I still have workouts to do, but when the end is actually in sight, it makes it much easier to just do it.

I'm not really to panic-stage about anything having to do with the race... yet! I feel like I've done the training that I needed to do, and now I just want to go race. I keep thinking about a couple other times this year that I've felt calm like this, and they always seemed to turn out decent performances for me. So, that is a big confidence boost going into this last week.

I haven't done much open water swimming in these past few weeks and needed to, so I decided that I wouldn't go back to the pool any more this season; I'd just go swim in the lake. Getting myself to and into the pool has really been a struggle most of the past year. I'm always fine once I get going, but I just hate "going" there. As I draw closer to the race, I am starting to note things that I don't ever have to do again until the race is over. Checking "going to the pool" off of that list helps tremendously! I went to Peterson Pits twice last week with Mike and had good swims both times.

I didn't much of anything on the bike this week since I did my longer runs on Sunday and then Saturday of this week. The two rides I did were pretty short, but felt great.

The running has been the hardest thing for me to cut back on. I've always loved to run, and now that I am starting to feel rested, I want to run even more! After my 5-miler on Saturday with Sparkle, I was ready to do about 10 more! The 5 miles just felt like a warm-up! That's a good feeling to have, but I have to remember to take it a bit easier, so I am well-rested for next weekend.

It's kind of a balancing act, getting everything timed to peak at the same moment: September 10, 2006. I have to keep putting in good quality workouts without killing myself in the process. And, part of me is ready to have a "normal" life back NOW! While I am trying to make sure that I am eating well and not eating too much or too much junk, I still want to go out and "be amoung the people." So, I did go out on Friday night with Sparkle for dinner and a beverage or two, then when out again on Staurday night with another friend for another dinner and another beverage or two. Plus, it is Labor Day weekend, so there is all kinds of other fun stuff going on that involves food and beverages. Yikes! In one more week, I can let 'r rip!

Week 2 Weekly Round-Up (Sunday thru Saturday):
Swim: 3200 yards
Bike: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Run: 20.5 miles
Cross-Training: trying not to do any!!

No comments: