Monday, May 25, 2009

Snake Alley Crit

Growing up, Memorial Day weekends were always filled with rainy camping trips and soggy sleeping bags. It was a given that, no matter the forecast, it *would* rain. It was such a sure-thing, that we used to have a rain pool betting on when the rain would arrive! Though the camping trip tradition is long-gone, the rain has always fallen on this first weekend of summer. This year started what may become another Memorial Day weekend tradition: a trip to Burlington for the Snake Alley Criterium.

As a tri geek, I always thought that cycling was proceeded by a swim and followed by a run. The thought of just racing a bike was foreign at best and scary as heck. Since making a foray into mountain bike racing, the single sport of bike racing isn't as frightening, but yet the idea of a crit, especially on Snake Alley, wasn't even on my radar. But knowing that my choices for the day were to sit/stand around all day with no chance for a workout of my own, or to throw my hat in the ring and give the Snake whatever I could muster, I coughed up the dough for registration and went for it!

We pulled into town about an hour before the start of the Cat 4 women's race. As Cam and I signed up for our races, we saw some of the Punk Rock Cycling team, including Keri, who just 12 weeks ago had a beautiful baby boy, registering for the race as well. After a good warm-up, including a few trips up some of the steep side streets, I headed to the start/finish area. Besides the 4 PRC girls, I also recognized a couple ladies in pink from the All 9 Yards team. I borrowed a few words of advice and strategy from the more experienced riders. I set myself a goal of not puking before the race started.
Soon the starter sent us off, and we all hit the gas. The first trip up was rough, but not because of the grade or the cobblestones; the problem was the density of bikes and bodies all vying for space on a narrow, brick, steep roadway. Balancing a bike under these circumstances is challenging enough, but with others swerving around you, the intensity increases dramatically. The Cat 4 race totaled 6 laps. Each lap up the Alley was more painful than the last, but as the crowds thinned, the chances of eating a brick diminished. I went back and forth for much of the race with Dee Mable; I could catch her on the climb, but she'd fly right past me on the downhill parts of the lap. I ended up 17th, not near the front, but not DFL. I'll take it.
While it was fun to try something new, I don't think I'm gonna make road racing a regular part of my annual schedule. However, I just may keep Snake Alley on the list. It is probably as close to mountain bike racing as you can get in a crit. There isn't as great a chance of getting caught up in a big mess since the Snake opens up the pack racing that usually characterizes crits. And the skills needed to climb the Alley are similar to what is needed to conquer some of the big climbs in MTBing: control, balance, correct weighting over the bike, slow cycling skills.
After my race, I rode a little to cool down, then made quick time back to Snake Alley to watch Cam take it to the competition in the 40+ race. It was a good race, but on the last lap Cam turned the screws on the guy stuck to his wheel and pulled out good lead and win.
The PRC girls and I watched the Cobble Climb, grabbed some food and beverages, then went back to the hill in time to watch Cam try for another win in the 30+ race. Though he did very well; he finished second - no small feat considering the winner hadn't already raced earlier in the day!
The weather remained beautiful for our races, but soon after the 30+ race, the skies clouded over and the tradition of rain on the Memorial Day weekend continued!

1 comment:

vardomom said...

what happened to the cool background music? Or is it just my computer's fault?