Saturday, August 08, 2009

Tranquility Tire Tantrum


The forecast just sounded great: 100+ temps (never mind the heat index…) and 25mph winds, gusting to 45mph. Sounds like the makings of a pretty miserable day for a mountain bike race. I really don’t mind the heat nearly as much as I mind the cold, so I figured I’d do okay.

Cam and I loaded up and headed to Omaha, and tried to keep the Jeep from getting blown off the Interstate. Unfortunately, we did come across a motorcyclist who wasn’t able to keep it shiny side up. That image will be with me for a long time…

We arrived with enough time to do a recon lap and get a little acclimated to the heat. My legs didn’t feel the best on the recon lap, so I cut it a little short. I got enough of a feel for what I was going to be up against: switchback city and a little bit of climbing. Though it had rained pretty well on Friday, the majority of the course was pretty dry and dusty with just a couple of soggy spots. I also learned that the shade felt great, but the sun would bake you in a hurry! I hid out in the shade and dumped Gatorade down my throat until the race was ready to start.

As usual, there was a small turnout in the women’s fields: two of us in Cat 2 and no one showed for the Cat 1 race. Nebraska regular, Rox, was out with a wicked injury. Rhonda (the other female) and I lined up at the back of the men’s fields. I usually have a pretty slow start, so I’d just as soon not have any dudes breathing down my back right from the start.

After about 10 minutes of delay at the start for some interesting paperwork issues, we were finally off. I was even slower than usual coming off the line but saw no real reason to be pushing it at all right at the start. It was going to be a long, hot, brutal day no matter what, so I figured I’d just let all the rabbits tire themselves out; I would try to come on strong later in the race.

My only rabbit, Rhonda, hit the dirt about 3-4 minutes into the race, so I didn’t really have to work too hard to overtake her! Lap one was good. I got into the swing of things pretty quickly, and enjoyed chasing down some of the guys ahead of me. Apparently, this course uses some BMX trails, too, so I had some fun testing out my mad skills on those!

By the time I hit lap 2, I was starting to feel the heat. There were lots of other racers who were feeling it, too, evidenced by the carnage along the trail – lots of DNFs today! Since speed was no longer a huge worry, I tried to work on getting a few more fluids into my system. I could feel myself slowing down, and I knew I could be in a world of hurt in a hurry if I didn’t start to focus on hydration.


I passed a few more guys on the last half of the lap and was able to finish strong for the win. Not a really exciting race or win, but a win is a win, and I will take it. Cam was feeling the heat, put it in cruise control about halfway through the race for a second place finish.

Recovery was the next order of business. We threw down a huge smoothie and about a half gallon of water each. Tomorrow is another hot, humid race at Lake Ahquabi State Park in the Iowa Series.

No comments: