Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Swanson

Our awesome spring streak of beautiful race days continued with another visit to the great state of Nebraska. Just up the road from Jewell Park where we kicked off our season, we drove into Swanson under bright beautiful skies. They’d had a little rain in the days prior to the race, but there were only a couple wet spots and the course was in awesome shape.

Nebraska fast girl, Roxzanne Abbott-Feagan, was wearing her race director hat again, so that meant I was the lone Cat 1 racer once more. The Cat 2 ladies had a great turnout, so I started with them but did twice the number of laps.

We headed off the line, and I took the lead into the trees. With no one to chase, I just concentrated on pulling away from the ladies behind me. By the middle of lap one, I was riding alone. And, though the leaders and Cam came by me during the later laps, I rode primarily alone!

I kept my lap times very consistent and really enjoyed the course. I love racing in Nebraska – the guys who race there are the best. Not only are they very courteous when they come by to make a pass, they always throw out some words of encouragement as they fly past.

Cam was more challenged in his race. Kent McNeil won by three and a half minutes, and Mark Savery finished about forty seconds in front of third place Cam.

With the sun shining above, we enjoyed rehashing the day with some good friends!

No comments: