Saturday, September 22, 2007

Trying Something New...

So, I'm taking an EMT-B class at DMACC. I guess I'm doing it for a few reasons:

1. I want to do it for my own knowledge and growth.

2. Never hurts to have it on a resume.

3. I like a challenge!

I started class at the end of August, and we take our state exam on December 1. It's 2 nights a week for 3 1/2 hours, plus four Saturdays for 7 1/2 hours each. So far I am really enjoying it. I've learned that I know a lot more than I thought, thanks to my ISU education and those couple of years working in cardiac rehab. I've also learned that there is a lot to learn, too!

Thankfully, they've thrown us right in to the hands-on stuff. I think that is the best way to learn. Next week, we start our clinicals. We'll spend a total of 20 hours at Mercy, Methodist, and Broadlawns. Then we'll do some ride alongs with the Des Moines Fire and Rescue.

I'm not sure that this is something I want to persue as a career, but it will never hurt me to have the knowledge and skills. On the other hand, I could love it!

It is working out very well with my job at DMACC; I can go to work during the day, take a little time for a run and dinner, then head straight to class. Getting home close to 11pm isn't great. but I can do it for a couple months.

No comments: