Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Mountain Bike Racing in Boone

No, not me racing on a mountain bike. I just went to watch and cheer. My friend, Cam, is a semi-pro, but doesn't do a lot of racing in central Iowa. So, when I found out he was going to be racing in Boone, I took advantage and headed over to watch. Of course, it turned out to be one of the hottest and most humid days of the summer, but that just added to the adventure.

Armed with a camera and an extra water bottle (for Cam, not me), I hiked into the woods at Seven Oaks and tried to get some good shots without getting eaten alive by the mosquitos or run over by a wayward bicycle.

What I learned:

1. You can't miss a giant herd of mountain bikes headed in your direction - even if they are obscured by the trees. They are loud - at least a lot louder than I was expecting and loud enough that you feel the need to get the heck outta their way!

2. Bug spray is no match for the man-eating insects of this central Iowa summer.

3. It's hard to take good pictures of Cam. He led from start to finish, so I never had any warning of when he'd be coming over the hill I was standing at the bottom of. If he'd been in second or third, I would have had some idea of when he was coming. I don't think he thought much of my request to have him race in second place til the end...

4. Mountain bike racers are a funny bunch. Many of them would have a little chat with me as they rode by - telling me about the heat, the bath they took in the stream, how glad they were that I was there to cheer for them.

5. Cam makes some funny faces when he rides.

6. Sometimes you just have to get off and run!

I think I may have been bitten by more than just mosquitos; I think he's got me talked into trying out my own mountain bike race next weekend! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

roehr said...

dude you're CRAZY!!! mountain biking is for people even crazier than ironman triathletes...but if you insist, have fun, get dirty, and STAY SAFE!!!!