Sunday, February 26, 2006

Makin' It Mine, in Week Twenty-Nine

Yesterday I headed down to Des Moines to look at bikes. I was having a hard time with the whole concept of going somewhere other than Skunk River Cycles to look at bikes. As a general rule among cyclists, it's not good to stray far from your local bike shop, so I felt like I was cheating on someone by even checking out the goods at another store. I felt even worse when I got there and had such a good discussion with the guys of this DM shop. This shop was at the Des Moines Tri Club's Expo a few weeks ago and Sterling (one of the guys from the bike shop) did a "quick fit" for me for a tri bike. Sterling was in the shop yesterday, and he set me up with a QR Tequilo to take for a test ride. It just so happened that there was a 2005 model in my size in the store window. For the little test ride I took (about 10 minutes in the bitter freezing cold), it felt great! Of course, as a 2005 model, there is a significant discount associated with it. And, if I join the DM Tri Club ($25), I get 20% off (WAY more than $25) bikes at this particular store. To make matters worse, then I'd have to decide which bike shop to support with all the other business I'll be doing the rest of this season (pedals, shoes, etc). Do I support the shop in Ames that I've worked with for 3 years? Or do I support this shop in DM that did a great job of selling me a bike and took a long time to explain some things that I've never had help with at the Ames store? Hmmm...

I did more biking this week than was on my schedule. The weather (and my schedule) at the beginning of the week was unbearable, so I had to make some last-minute modifications. I did a little less running than I was supposed to, but I made up for that in cycling and cross training. The increase in swim distance was more brutal than I had anticipated, so I was a little low on swim yardage as well, but I have plenty of time to make up for that in the coming weeks.

My running has felt great. The combination of having such a great base from this winter and the additional cross training is treating my hamstring very well. I will be very thankful later on this spring that I kept up with the running all winter long.

Weekly Round-Up (Sunday thru Saturday):
Swim: 4400 yards
Bike: 3.5 hours on the trainer
Run: 9.5 miles
Cross-Training: 1 hour Pilates class, 20 minutes on elliptical trainer

I am sleeping great (a product of being exhausted every night), so I should be ready go again tomorrrow!

No comments: