Saturday, July 04, 2009

Colorado Training Camp - Day Two

I was riding along a nice bike path just outside Breckenridge and couldn't help but reflect on just how fortunate I am. It's July 4th, and I am out enjoying a beautiful day in the Colorado mountains on my bike. Between the wildflowers growing along the trail, the bright blue sky and light breeze, and the fact that I just love to be on my bike, I couldn't possible come up with anything that I would do to make the day any better. Or at least I'd better not try to come up with anything... I am so blessed to get to do what I do.

I started off the year with 10 days on Maui, riding my bike. In April, I scored another trip to Phoenix for 5 days of riding with some great women. Now, here I am in Colorado getting to spend another 8 days of riding. Later in the month I'll add another week with RAGBRAI. It truly doesn't get any better than this!

The reflection came about because I was out riding while Cam raced in the Firecracker 50 in Breckenridge. His race started at 11am, so I watched the start (literally a parade lap - the racers lead the Fourth of July parade down Main Street in downtown Breck.


I had roughly 2 hours to kill until I would see Cam again and he would need a hand-up. I changed clothes and went in search of the bike path we'd seen on our drive into town. I made it as far as Summit High School before it was time to turn back. I was pleased to see a high ropes challenge course similar to what we use at the ALC. I had to take a few pictures, as there were a few elements that we don't have.

Once I rode back and gave Cam some more to drink, I was free for almost another two hours before he'd finish. I headed back out along the same path, but made it all the way to Frisco this time before needing to double back. This time, I spotted another one of my favorite sports being played: rugby! That warranted another stop for some photos.
As I was snapping some shots of the scrum, moisture began to fall from the sky. It was very light, but was rain nonetheless. So as not to be caught out in a downpour, I high-tailed it back to the race site. As I watched the winners and other finishers come through the chute, the heavens opened. If I were to see Cam's finish, I had no choice but to hang out in the rain. When the breeze also picked up, I found shelter under an EZ-Up of some team. I just pretended like I was supposed to be there...

Dave Weins had a great finish. I took his picture because his aunt takes one of the exercise classes I teach in Ames. That and he's just a stud... The women's champion came across the line and was doing all her post-race interviews right in front of me. She was stoked to earn a national title - her first!

Soon I saw the familiar black and white of Rassy's heading down the hill towards me. Cam crossed the finishline, and before I could even say a single word, he looked me straight in the eye and said, "I am NOT doing this again next year! That sucked!"
I just smiled, knowing it would only be a matter of time before he ate those words...

We did a quick cool-down, changed into some warm clothes, shivered at the finish for a while, ate some of the best post-race food I've ever seen, had a beer, then headed back to Vail where a great Fourth of July meal awaited us. We stayed up late enough to watch some fireworks out on the deck with the girls. A great day!

No comments: