Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Single Step

I've been amazed at how good I've been feeling during my workouts lately. I think this is the first winter that I've really kept up this well with working out, so it seems foreign to me to actually be in some sort of shape at this time of year. Most noticeable are my runs. I am the type of person who has one or two good-feeling runs a month usually. Every run in the last 2 weeks has been great, so I am very optimistic about this! Not only have the runs felt good from a physical condtioning standpoint, but they have also been runs that have taken me out of my comfort zone - something I'm starting to get used to, as this whole training process has done many times already.

In the last 8 days, I have run in a bunch of snow and in a rain storm. Although I may sound like a wuss, I never would have done that before - I would have been inside on the treadmill (and probably not run as far as a result). It's just a little step, but as they say: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

On another note, the RAGBRAI route was announced this weekend. I'm still dealing with the idea that I'm not going for the whole week. But I think that I've got a decent plan on how to make it all work out... I think I can get some of the aspects of a "real" RAGBRAI without compromising any of my training. Actually, I'm kinda looking forward to a different ride this year.

No comments: