Monday, January 23, 2006

There S'Now Way Out

I am thankful for these last few months of training - the time since I signed up for the IM until now. There have been so many things I've learned about myself and what works best for me, interms of training. If I would have had to start training right after away last September, I think I would have set myself up for disaster. Maybe disaster is too strong of a word to use, but it still conveys the idea. For instance, my training is going to have to take a bit of a backseat to my real life - the part that brings the money in for things like, say, food. In my line of work, I have the ability to set my own hours for the most part, but I have developed a client base that has grown to be relatively profitable. Now I am finding that these profitable clients can (and should) dictate my schedule more than anything. That said, I've learned that swimming is working into my schedule very well on Mondays and Wednesdays. And strength training works in great on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And I love a good run on Mondays, even if the weekend workouts were tough - it is just a great way to get me centered and back on track for the week. When Fridays roll around, I am ready for a break (mentally more than anything), and it has worked out great to just not do anything on Fridays and just get ready for the longer runs and rides of the weekend. That had led me to decide that my "real" training schedule (which is to begin in 3 weeks) might be in need of a little make-over before I even get started on it. It's just one more reason I'm glad to have a degree in Exercise Science. At least I have some idea of how to move things around so I don't screw too much up and still get the same volume of work into each week.

A dusting of snow was forecast for last Friday. That dusting turned into about 4 inches by the time all was said and done (stranding Royce in Ames for an extra 24 hours). But that didn't deter Team Vardo from a 6 mile run on Saturday morning. We went slip-sliding towards the north and over to Ada Hayden park for a run on the upland trail. Normally this trail is a crushed limestone/gravel-type trail. With 4 inches of the white stuff on it, it was more like icy marbles. Thankfully, that was only about 2 miles of the total run. It was another great run for me - two in the same week!! If I'd had to run on my own, I'd have slept in for sure. It was great to see 8 other faces to join in our little snowy adventure.

Tonight was actually ANOTHER great run - this time on the treadmill, but I thought I could have gone forever again. My swim was darn good today, too! I think I'm just in the zone!

No comments: