Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Keep On Keepin' On

Not much new to report from Ames. Training continues to go well. The weather continues to be uncooperative. I am so stinkin' busy with the holidays so close at hand. Clients are making appointments then breaking them a few hours later. I don't seem to know if I am coming or going most of the time. Shopping is getting done in spare minutes between projects and work. My Christmas cards are not ready to go yet. I'm kinda running out of time!

For the past week or so, I've been allowing myself to sleep a little bit later in the mornings. This is a direct response to the fact that I've been getting to bed a bit later due to the harried pace of the days. I think that I'd still prefer to get up at an hour that allows me to get one workout in before work, so I only have to figure out where to put one other workout later in the day.

My running has felt better this week. I can't wait to get back outside to run, but I'm still having the mental block of going out when it is a.) too cold, b.) too icy, c.) too cold of a windchill, d.) raining/snowing/sleeting, e.) all of the above. The treadmill is treating me well, but I know I really should be hitting the inclines to get at least some sort of hill workout in during the week. None of the other people at the fitness center have gotten mad at me (at least not to my face) for taking up an hour on the precious treadmills during the weekend. We are such a small facility that we only have 3 treadmills. I am big-time breaking the 30-minute rule. I'm sure no one complains just because I work there, but I do a pretty good job of picking off-peak times to double my alloted time.

Swimming has its good days and its bad days. Monday was a good day. Today felt like I was dragging a brick (or was that just my butt??) through the water behind me. I said a thankful little prayer that I signed up for a wet-suit legal Ironman. At least I'll have slightly more buoyant legs on that day! I had to laugh at myself today... after I got out of the water, I thought to myself, "After September, I may never swim again. This sucks!"

The events of this coming weekend may change my usual schedule (barring any changes that my clients choose to make for me). Team Satisfied is going out on Friday night to check out a new restaurant (which may also involve some adult beverages), so the 7 miler I was going to do on Saturday may get moved to Friday afternoon. The shop Christmas party is Saturday. That will have adult beverages for sure, as we will be going bowling after the party (and I bowl LOTS better with beer in my belly), so Sunday won't be a good day for a long workout. Perhaps a long-ish bike ride on Saturday afternoon and Sunday can be my rest day for the week.

3 comments:

roehr said...

Running in the snow and cold is fun...plus hot chocolate tastes that much better at the end!! Have fun and be safe at your adventures and festivities this weekend...give my best to the Team Satisfied gang!!

vardomom said...

Don't your treadmills have incline adjustments?

Jeff Klein said...

Like yours?