Sunday, December 11, 2005

Thawing Out

FINALLY! The temperature has risen above freezing for the first time in about 2 weeks. But, that doesn't mean that it has stopped snowing. We've already had over a foot of snow this winter, and it's not even the middle of December yet. It could be a long winter of hours and hours on the treadmill.

I have the training back under control. I got two solid strength training workouts in this week, one good "long" run of 6 miles, and a "long" ride of 75 minutes on the trainer, plus my two swimming workouts and other shorter workouts. I decided to try to be a little less anal about the training right now. My goal is just to just be consistent with my workouts, and I'll worry about getting more hard-core in February.

Actually writing out my program has helped give me a little more perspective. The training will be pretty intense for at least 20 of the 30 week program. So, for right now, I just want to be a little more relaxed - making changes mid-week, taking a day off if I feel like I need it, etc.

Putting the dates into the calendar made me also realize that I'll actually be using a 29-week program, rather than the 30-week schedule I thought I would use. I will be in Colorado during "Week 1" to help out with my soon-to-be-born nieces and do some skiing. It will be a great final "off" or "cross-training" week before I turn into a single-minded triathlete.

No comments: