Saturday, October 08, 2005

Head to the Mountains

Just returned from an 8 mile run with Roehr (and part of the running group). We saw lots of people out training today as well. It's kind of funny how once you get into a scene, like running or triathlon, just how many people you meet and are able to build friendships with. We ran part of the run with Dale, a tri club member and IM Canada finisher. He was frank about the challenges of completing an IM, but also provided some encouragement and words of wisdom. We also saw Lara and her husband out running and just exchanged greetings as they flew past us...

It was great to run a distance like that again, but it was lots more fun just being able to run with Roehr. I didn't really expect to go that far, but once we were moving, it just felt too good to stop. I didn't go the full 12 that Roehr was going, however. That would have been a mistake and I'd have probably been too sore tomorrow to want to do anything. Roehr and I didn't do a very good job of HR management. We were too busy gabbing about the IM and our upcoming trip to Colorado (in 3 days). Whenever I get to talking about fun stuff like training and traveling, my pace picks and pretty soon, I am huffing and puffing. But that could have been the fact that I haven't been doing any longer-type training in a few weeks...

I am looking very forward to the trip for a number of reasons. First, I am just needing a break from work for a couple of days. Secondly, I am excited to see my brother and Tina (and their house and dog, Cooper). But, I am enough of a geek that I am really looking forward to going to the NSCA Conference on Endurance Training. It could not have happened at a better time for me. I've got so many questions and will have some of the fore-most experts in the world to ask! Plus, there is the added bonus of the side-trip to the Coors Brewery for a tour one day...

No comments: