Saturday, October 29, 2005

Running Scared

This morning's run was one of the scariest runs I've ever been on. I didn't get hit by a car, or see anyone else get hit by a car. Nothing like that at all. My hamstring has still been bothering me off and on, but since I haven't really been doing much running lately, I haven't taken too much notice of it lately. And usually when I start running, it only takes about 3 painful steps before I am able to run with relatively little discomfort. Well, not today!! I ran about 4 blocks (limped really) with my hammy tied in knots. It hurt more today than it has hurt all year. THAT is not what I wanted to experience at this stage in the game. I stopped to stretch and was able to make it through the rest of the run. All in all, I ran about 3.7 miles home from my training session this morning. My heart rate is still out of control, so I decided that today would be a "mental training" day.

I just concentrated on staying relaxed and keeping my stide steady. I ran as slow as I needed to in order to maintain my heart rate under control, and just focused on keeping moving. I put some ice on my hamstring when I got home, I think I'll try to do a little more cycling in the next couple days to work on maitaining some sort of fitness and not bother the injury any more.

Yesterday's workout was about 2.5 miles of running outside followed by 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer. And 10 minutes of stretching.

Tomorrow is another day and hopefully my body will soon start to cooperate!

No comments: