Sunday, October 02, 2005

Here Today, Gone to Maui

I have found the cure for the common cold!! You'll never believe it, but mahi mahi will do the trick! Friday, I still was struggling pretty bad with the cold, like I was living in a fog. After work, I went to eat with the females of Team Satisfied and G$ and ordered the "Here today, gone to Maui" mahi mahi sandwich at Wallaby's. When I woke up at 5:45am on Saturday, I was cured! I still sound like a crack addict, but all else is well!

I gained a new appreciation for mothers yesterday. I babysat for Payton from 7:30 til 3. I'm not sure how a mother gets anything else accomplished during the day when there is a one year old scooting all over the place, getting into everything. After Payton had his morning nap, I strapped him into the jogging stroller and we went out for about 45 minutes. I even tried running for the first time in 2 weeks. I was less than successful, partly due to my hamstring still not feeling right and partly because I'd been sick for the previous 4 days. So, most of our time was spent walking around Boone, looking at squirrels and enjoying the beautiful fall day. But let me say, I have NO idea how a single mother can survive. I was wiped out by Payton's energy and curiousity.

Last night I went to a good ol' fashioned kegger. It felt just like high school! However, between the cold and the babysitting, I wasn't really in the mood to get all crazy. Good thing... because Sparkle and Sid decided early on that they were gonna tie one on! Sparkle was doing her fair share of smack talkin' about how she is a "Tippy Cup" ringer. We didn't keep an exact total, but I am pretty sure the women beat the men 2 times out of 3. Today was spent catching up on laundry. I never thought that my new schedule of getting up early to work out would have the undesirable side effect of producing lots of extra laundry! I think I got a good workout huffing the dirty and clean clothes up and down the stairs fifty times today.

I also wanted to spend some quality time working on a training plan for next year. Every time I sit down to work on it, so many more questions come up. This week's list:

a. Should I try to schedule the same disciplines each day of the week (at least for the majority of the schedule)?
b. Should one day per week be an off-day or should I try to do something everyday, even if it is just an easy recovery workout?
c. Should I "taper" for any of the other races I'll be doing during the summer or just train through them?

I'm so anal. I'd love to have an order to everything so that I would just automatically know what workouts come on what days, but I know that isn't always feasible. And weather is so unpredictible, I'll need to learn to roll with the punches as they come. The added difficulty that I will face next spring is trying to incorporate my running club workouts with my training schedule.

This week is just going to be another "recovery/rest" type week. I'll lift 3 days and do a good core workout 3 days with at least 30 minutes of cardio each day. Next Tuesday, I go to Colorado with Roehr to see my brother and very pregnant sister-in-law, hike in Estes Park for 2-3 days, then to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Conference on Endurance Training. It is a double bonus for me: first I get CEU's for my certification AND I get to meet and talk to some of the best trainers in the nation and pick their brains about the best ways to train for the ultimate endurance event! Whenever we get a chance, Roehr and I will be making plans for next year!

No comments: