Friday, September 16, 2005

College Flashback

Today I had a flashback to my days in college. I was the one who never stayed up late cramming for a test. Everyone used to think that I was crazy. I always prefered to go to bed and have a good night's sleep over losing sleep trying to learn something I should have learned much earlier in the semester. That thought hit me as I was running up the final hill in my last short run before the half marathon. I didn't have a good run and was very tired and working a lot harder than I felt I should at that point. I decided that rest would probably benefit me more at that moment than any more running. So I walked the last 200 yards.

It was (almost) a 3 mile run and I finished in about 27 minutes, including the walking. I think the other thing I had going against me was that I ran at 11:30am after having a really light breakfast at about 6:15am. I was literally running on empty. My hamstring was not bad all morning - I even did some of the plyometrics with the hockey team this morning (again, not a good idea). It didn't really bother me again til I left the house for my run. Of course, that's when it got bad. It started to feel like normal after about 2 miles, so I should be okay for most of the half marathon. It'll just be tough getting started.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting psyched for this race. I'd really just rather have it over with. I hope this is not how I'll be feeling next September!

No comments: