Monday, September 26, 2005

Just Because I Can't Run...

Just because I can't run doesn't mean that I've been sitting on my butt. Today started out with 20 minutes on the bike (crappy stationary thing at the gym). I worked on cadence - funny thing, at 95rpm I couldn't get my heart rate even up to 60%MHR. So, I hit the elliptical for 25 more minutes (much better luck with a therapeutic HR), then some back and abs before I taught my two classes. For my sake more than anything, I put them through some stout (for 70-80 year olds) core work. I know I was hurting at the end, so they may never come back to my class, but that's another story altogether... I trained a client, then dashed home for a quick shower before returning to work to take "Core & Strength," with my requested additional ab work. I had a quick lunch, then worked at the other job til 5 when we screamed out of there to get in a bike ride (a REAL bike ride) for another hour! That is my kind of day! And I get to do it all over again tomorrow!

It's starting to get cooler out and I'm slowly starting to think about what it is going to take to train through the winter for this big event. Mostly what I've been thinking about is how much money it's gonna cost me to workout in relative comfort. Yikes!

My other thoughts have been on how to best care for and maintain my body through this grueling process. I'm gonna have chats with a chiropractor and massage therapist and see what I can get worked out for the next year. I've had mild success in the past trading personal training for their services and that would be OPTIMAL, but hard to get done. It is most important to me to have someone in those positions who is an athlete themselves and can relate and fully understand what is going on. At some point I may need some consultation with a dietician as well. I am actually viewing this whole IM training as a way to see just what the body is capable and I want to be at my best for the race, but also for the rest of my athletic life.

No comments: