Monday, September 19, 2005

Recovery Day

Today has been rougher than I had hoped it would be. I am pretty sore from the race yesterday. My hamstring is pretty much fried. I limped through the day, but I did take a “Core & Strength” class today, as one of my off-season goals is to improve my core strength. I work a lot on core stability, but the strength part has always been my weakness. The hardest part of right now is figuring out what I can do, can’t do, should do, and shouldn’t do. I’m hoping to get at least one good bike ride in this week, if the weather holds. Maybe I’ll get back into the weight room on Wednesday and Friday, too.

Saturday I hope to get down to the bike shop and take the Cannondale for a ride again. The owner suggested taking a test ride on the Cannondale and my Raleigh with my heart rate monitor and see how my heart rate reacts on both. If I can gain some economy on a new bike, it just might be worth it.

Funny story: I’m teaching my class this morning to the 60-80 year old women who are starting to know me pretty well. They ask me about the half marathon and are just amazed that anyone can run 13.1 miles, let alone a whole marathon. One woman explains to the class about her neighbor who does Ironman Triathlons! She explains the distances to the rest of the class (with a little clarification from me…) and they about fall apart! I am just laughing under my breath. Of course, they ask me if I ever want to do something crazy like that. I simply explained that it takes a lot of time and commitment to undertake something like that. Technically, I never said yes or no, so I think I’m still okay!

No comments: