Monday, September 12, 2005

I Finally Took The Plunge

As of 1:15pm today, I am officially entered in the 2006 Ironman Wisconsin. I always thought that I would do this in a few years, but something today told me that this was the year. Two years ago, I started a five year plan that I thought would culminate in an Ironman event at the end of those five years. That plan flew out my truck window on the way back from lunch today. I was talking to a friend who signed up at the event this morning and promised her that I would be there to cheer her on next year, along with a bunch of our friends. Subconsciously, that made me think that it would be a great year for me to be there competing, rather than just as a fan. We'd both have tons of fans on hand to cheer us on, and I know of more than a couple of people who will also be participating. We'll struggle through the training together - that is what I think truly makes one an Ironman, not the event itself, but the journey of getting there. This blog will document my training and preparation. I hope it will be a reminder of what I've done, what I could have done better, a tool for accountability, and a training journal. I can only hope that through this blog, my friends and family will have a better appreciation for what triathlon is to me and why I am doing this. Let me just say that although signing up today was a bit traumatic, the overwhelming emotion I feel at this time is excitement, not fear. I am very excited to see what this next year has in store for me. I can't wait to see what I can accomplish when I put everything together for one goal: Ironman Wisconsin. Here I come!

No comments: