Sunday, September 25, 2005

Seven Days Without Running Makes One Weak

Today marks 7 days without being able to run. My hammy is not feeling any better, so that makes it all the more discouraging. On Friday, I found a message board where people can ask questions of a physical therapist, and just the day before, someone had posted my very same problem. I'm anxious to hear any suggestions at this point.

I did 35 minutes on the eliptical trainer, 10 minutes on the rower, and 30 minutes of upper body weights today. Everything (save the hammy) feels good. Tomorrow will be a core day - workout before work and then a lunch-time class. If the weather improves, maybe a bike ride after work.

I spent some time this morning trying to put together a training program. I've got a couple programs that other people have used, but I need to make some sort of composite that fits me. You'd think with my background, it would be a lot easier than it is. My current questions are:

a. How many races should I try to fit into the summer? I think that I can do 3-5 races as long as I treat them as workouts rather than races. The "brick" aspect is the most appealing part of doing races as training.
b. How much running should I be doing at the beginning of the program, knowing this is the part that is both the most challenging part for me but also the most injury-inducing. And I think that is the the discipline that runs the biggest risk for burnout and overtraining for me.
c. How many (if any) days per week should be complete rest days? Is it better for me to rest on the same day every week, or a different day each week?
d. How much strength training should I be doing and how many days per week?
e. What role should RAGBRAI play in my training? How many days should I go on RAGBRAI? How on earth will I fit running and swimming into that week?

Needless to say, I have some questions that need some answers. Loyal readers, any answers?

No comments: