Saturday, September 24, 2005

Oktober in September

Last night I spent some time with two Ironman Wisconsin finishers (Tom-2004 and Matt-2005) and Sparkle. We were all blowing off a little steam and enjoying some fine German beers at the Oktoberfest, one of the last few chances that we have to get out and cut loose before the hardcore training begins in a few short weeks. As it often does, the conversation soon turned to triathlon. They continued to drill into my head the need for a nutrition plan. And a mental game plan. I kinda feel like a tri geek talking so much about this stuff, even when we are out doing other stuff, but I think that I need to absorb as much knowledge as I can. If only I hadn't absorbed so much beer...

Needless to say, the fine German beer (and the "Sparks" energy malt beverage and the VERY strong screwdriver which followed) is great on a Friday night, but not so great when you have to be up and at 'em by 6am the next day. I met my (very small) running group at 6am for their run, even though I would have MUCH rather been still tucked into bed. After all the struggle to get up, they couldn't even run - too much lightning. No rain, just lightning. So, it was back to bed after all. They ran a little later in the mroning. It is increasingly tough to watch them run and not be able to join them. But, as the rain started about 5 miles into the 10 mile run, I was rather thankful that I wasn't out running with them. I'm pretty sure I'll have enough runs in crappy weather, so I'll be thankful for what I have when I have it.

No comments: