Sunday, September 18, 2005

Des Moines Half Marathon 2006

This morning was the Des Moines Half Marathon. It was not as successful as I had hoped, but I still survived. My hamstring started out feeling really pretty good. I ran the first 6 miles at a 9 minute pace (pretty good for me!), but things went south shortly after that. First my stomach started cramping after some Powerade (I think that was the cause anyway...), then my hamstring started cramping. That moved into my butt and then down into my calf. I was walking every 5-10 minutes or so and having to stop to stretch. I watched my goal time (2:00) slip away and ended up finishing around 2:11. Not bad, but with the faster start, I thought things would turn out better in the end.

Some of the running group came down to cheer the rest of us on. You'll just have to ask me about the nipple tassel sign that they made for George... There were some other friends along the route encouraging me, even though I didn't look so good. One of my fellow runners thought that the cheers of "Go, Sassypants!" were pretty funny (I did too!).

Yesterday was a pretty slow day. The runners in my group who are training for a marathon had their 20-miler yesterday morning, then we had breakfast at my house. The rest of the day I spent relaxing and trying to get "up" for the race. After getting the race packet, we went to a friend's 30th birthday party. There were at least 4 other people running the race, too! Lots of waters all around! We all had fun telling everyone that we weren't running the whole marathon, "just" the half. The non-runners in the group found that amusing.

No comments: